The Defense Department has issued its homeland defense plan for the next 10 years, and it looks like we can expect another decade of police-state activities where the gubmint will trample on personal freedoms with impunity.
Here’s a sample of the rhetoric of the “Strategy for Homeland Defense and Civil Support”:
Directed by the Strategic Planning Guidance (March 2004), this Strategy for Homeland Defense and Civil Support focuses on achieving the Defense Department’s paramount goal: securing the United States from direct attack. The Strategy is rooted in the following:
- Respect for America’s constitutional principles;
- Adherence to Presidential and Secretary of Defense guidance;
- Recognition of terrorist and state-based threats to the United States; and
- Commitment to continue transformation of US military capabilities.
I particularly like the “respect for America’s constitutional (sic) principles” part. Like the Constitutional principle tht you can check any book you want to out of the public library without having to explain why to an Inquisition of your peers. And “civil support” smacks of turning in your neighbor or ratting out a co-worker.
Here’s another juicy (and scary) quote:
“Multiple barriers to attack must be deployed across the globe – in the forward regions, in the approaches to the United States, in the U.S. homeland, and in the global commons — to create an unpredictable web of land, maritime and air assets that are arrayed to detect, deter and defeat hostile action.”.
That should help you sleep better at night. The five main objectives of the strategy are:
- Achieve maximum awareness of threats.
- Deter, intercept and defeat threats at a safe distance from the United States.
- Ensure that Defense components are protected and can perform their duties.
- Support domestic agencies in consequence management of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and electromagnetic attacks.
- Improve national and international capabilities for homeland defense and homeland security.
How come Homeland Security makes me feel so insecure?
ORANGE ALERT! ORANGE ALERT!