These 25 Corporations Donated $13.5 Million to Anti-Gay Politicians Since 2022
While major corporations continue to spend token amounts on marketing to the LGBTQ community, a Popular Information investigation reveals the same companies are spending millions backing anti-LGBTQ politicians. The investigation found that 25 corporations have donated $13.5 million to anti-LGBTQ politicians since January 2022.
Popular Information’s analysis includes:
1. Money donated by corporate PACs to the campaigns of members of Congress who received a zero rating on the latest Congressional scorecard produced by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s most prominent LGBTQ rights organization.
2. Money donated by corporate PACs to the leadership PACs of members of Congress who received a zero rating on the latest HRC Congressional scorecard.
3. Money donated by corporations and corporate PACs to state legislators who sponsored anti-LGBTQ legislation in Florida, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.
4. Money donated by corporations and corporate PACs to the governors who signed anti-LGBTQ legislation into law in those states.
5. Money donated by corporations to the primary 527 organizations that support anti-LGBTQ state legislators and governors: the Republican State Leadership Committee (RSLC) and the Republican Governors Association (RGA).
Here’s the list:
All 25 corporations included in Popular Information’s analysis were highly rated by Human Rights Campaign’s 2022 Corporate Equality Index (CEI). Twenty of the 25 corporations received perfect scores (100) and none received a score below 85. Along with workplace policies, the Corporate Equality Index purports to measure corporations’ “public commitment to the LGBTQ community.” But HRC’s methodology excludes political donations.
Happy Pride Month!