Huckabee Is the One Distorting the Facts of Single Motherhood

Fundamentalist Republican candidate for president Mike Huckabee said, “Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can’t get a job, and if it weren’t for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and would not get health care.”


  • 79.5% of custodial single mothers are employed
  • 27% of custodial single mothers and their children live in poverty; the other 73% do not
  • 22% receive Medicaid; 78% do not
  • 23.5% receive food stamps; 76.5% do not
  • 12% receive some form of public housing or rent subsidy; 88% do not