At minute 2:25:
Look … listen … I know these guys want to make a point, but you don’t do it by appropriating the worst thing that happened to other people. Equating anything you don’t like to slavery trivializes centuries of suffering. It’s like the holocaust of analogies.
— Daily Show Senior Black Correspondent Larry Wilmore reacting to right-wingers comparing abortion to slavery.
Watchers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report know about the “competing” rallies planned in Washington on Halloween weekend, a couple of days before the midterm elections. Jon Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity seems to be beating out Stephen Colbert’s March to Keep Fear Alive in the Facebook fans department.
On the Rally to Restore Sanity Facebook page, there is an open challenge to come up with 25 things that would not help restore sanity at the event. Among the suggestions:
- Talking about the miracle of the size of the crowd
- Wearing a McCain/Palin 2008 campaign button
- Wearing the American flag as an article of clothing or an accessory
- Bringing small rugs, turning toward FOX “News” and praying six times during the rally
- Safety pinning copies of our birth certificates to our chests
- Starting a movement to change the National Anthem to “The Thong Song” because “The Star Spangled Banner” is anti-colonialist
- Inviting a local coven to provide insight on the Delaware Senate race
- Have speeches fact-checked by Andrew Breitbart
There’s also a call for slogans for hand-painted signs but so far, the results are more earnest than funny. Among the better submissions are, “FOX–the only network where you are dumber after you watch it,” and “Sarah Palin is proof you’ll never go poor appealing to the lowest common denominator.”
Can you do better? Share your suggestion for either category in the comments.